Saturday, March 10, 2012

My New Haircut!


Saturday 3 March 2012 

So Saturday morning I woke up extrememly early to go to the Pav with my host sister and a bunch of other people. We got there around 8, and proceeded to the national shave-a-thon! I have always been curious as to what it would be like to shave my head, and this opportunity presented itself, where our 50 rand donation and all of my hair would go towards cancer patients (my hair in the form of a wig of course).

Anyways, when I first told my host sister she was horrified, but after some consideration she decided that I would look ok and could pull it off. We showed up, signed our life.. or I guess our hair.. away, and then took turns becoming victim to the buzzers. I have to say, it was definitely one of the strangest experiences I have ever had. They started by cutting off chunks of my hair to put in the donation bag, which was slightly stressful, but then when they shaved off the rest it was almost like a head massage! After a slight anxiety attack about how long it would take to grow back, I realized the benefit of having short hair in Africa! Especially since we were about to embark on our rural homestays the next day.




After coming home from the Pav, I gave Mama and Smu the goodbye presents, which made them both really happy, but also made me so sad to leave them both. They were both so gracious and appreciative of every little thing. I had bought Smu the Lion King so we watched that together with Mandisa and Seth and Stef. After, despite pouring rain, we headed down to house of curries one last time to hang out with our brothers.

Anyways, sorry I have been bad about updating this. We are back in Durban for the night, but have been in the rural areas! When we get back on Wednesday I will try to update you more thoroughly!

No comments:

Post a Comment